Take Advantage of Your School's Accessibility Services

Looking to better cope with virtual learning and the stresses of college or university? Learn more about two services that could assist you in school.

eNews2022 - AccessibilityMany students who have had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) in high school are encouraged to register with their college or university accessibility services. Depending on the student’s needs, the school can accommodate for things like longer test times, note-taking support, the use of assistive technology and materials in alternate formats. But did you know that many schools have other supports available to students registered with accessibility services? 

Learning Strategist

This role may also go by a different name such as learning skills advisor or learning consultant. These are educators within your college or university accessibility services. They often work one-on-one with students to help find strategies to best fit their learning style and academic needs. A learning strategist may also deliver group workshops.

Adaptive Technologist

Some post-secondary schools also have an adaptive or assistive technologist. This person will assess the student’s individual needs, train the student on the appropriate technologies and make recommendations. Most schools have purchased software for students to use for free, however, if the software isn’t covered, they may help in finding bursaries to cover the cost. These bursaries may also cover the cost of assistive equipment and other services (e.g., note-taking or tutoring).

Contact your school’s accessibility services or your POGO Transitions Counsellor to learn more about these and other supports within post-secondary schools!



All active news articles